I’m one of the new kids on the block. My name is Stacey! Jess and Lisa have given me an amazing opportunity to contribute to their blog and I am so happy to be here! I wanted to do a bit of an intro post so all y’all can get to know me (I am totally not southern, but I like to say y’all, own cowboy boots and many, many plaid shirts. And a lot of denim.) Here goes.
I’ve recently turned 33 and my 30’s are definitely my favourite. As much as I feel like I totally don’t have my shit together (because do real grown ups go on the swings before work? Prob not), I’ve at least got some of it together – definitely more together than it was in my 20’s. I’ve always been pretty darn sassy, but my 30’s have made me sassier but also less sassy. A different sassy. Less bitchy-sassy, more assertive-knows-what-she-wants-but-is-also-nice sassy. I like it, I like it a lot.
A massively important part of my life is my wonderful boyfriend. We have been living together for about 5 years, and dated for another 2 before that. I have a tendency to plan everything (lists and plans FTW!!) and he is my balance. He is the person in my world who goes with the flow and reminds me that it is ok not to have everything planned, or have everything go according to plan (except when traveling internationally because no.) He’s my bestest best friend, and no doubt he will call me out for being such a cornball on a public platform, but also the love of my life. We live in the inner, inner west of Sydney and currently have no kid babies or fur babies, but hopefully one day. (Mum, if you’re reading this, this is not your cue to start knitting baby things!)
I am also really good at talking. You should see me after a few wines – you can’t get this girl to shut up! You can probably get her to dance though (especially if Salt n Pepa comes on.) Instead of me continuing to ramble, here are 10 things you might like to know about me:
1. I try as much as possible to have a positive attitude. I used to be a bit of an angry grump, but I put my big girl pants on a few years back and went with the whole “choose your attitude” deal. It’s awesome. It feels awesome. Even if I have a shit day, I always find at least one thing (peanut butter, wine, etc.) that wasn’t so shit, and thank my lucky stars for everything I have.
2. My favourite season is Autumn. What’s not to love about autumn? Jumpers, scarves, jeans, boots, red wine, THE LEAVES!!! It is THE prettiest, without the awful allergies that Spring and all it’s blossoming loveliness brings along.
3. Christmas is my JAM. It is my favourite. It is literally the most wonderful time of the year for me (not so much for boyfriend though.) I get super excited; I bake a lot, decorate a whole bunch, (understatement of the year), and have something festive on my person every other day, if not every day. I spend a lot of time wrapping presents (shout out to my hot glue gun!) I love to give gifts. Most of all, I love the fact that every one goes out of their way to make time for each other for a catch up. Everyone is merry. And it is my most favourite.
4. In saying that, I’ll decorate our apartment (and myself) throughout the year. Christmas, New Year, Valentine’s, St Patrick’s, Easter, Christmas in July, Halloween… even to celebrate a new season. I have no shame when it comes to using cookie cutters to make food look festive either.
5. If I am bored, my favourite shows to turn on and binge watch (repeatedly) would have to be Gilmore Girls, One Tree Hill and How I Met Your Mother. I watch GG so much that boyfriend knows and sings along to the theme song out of habit. AND YES I’m excited for November!!!!!
6. Over the last 7 years I have lost 35kg, give or take (not including all those times I regained and had to lose again [shit, so shit]) I finally feel like I am in a place now where I know what works for me, and it’s (sadly) low carb. No, I haven’t given up carbs – I wouldn’t do that to pizza, or bread, or potatoes. They’re my friends and I love them dearly, they’re just my every-so-often friends, not my bff’s (anymore.)
7. One of my not-so-guilty pleasures is watching the UFC. I love, love, LOVE it. (my other not-so-guilty pleasure is Grease 2, it is the best Grease, don’t hate!)
8. I hate cockroaches. I will cry if I see one, or run in the opposite direction. Then freak out that it’s chasing after me. I won’t look back, you can’t make me.
9. I own far too many nail polishes. I paint my nails at least once a week and have to think about all the outfits I’m going to wear to work that week because I get… itchy…. if my colours aren’t working.
10. Cookie monster is my spirit animal. I love to bake cookies. Last year, for my work peeps, I did “10 days of Christmas Cookies” before we jetted off to Europe for our Christmas holiday. There were nights when I was making and baking cookies at 11pm. Often after many festive wines because Christmas. I ate a lot of dough, I won’t lie.
Well, I hope you’ve enjoyed my first post. I can’t believe I did it without a glass of wine in my hand, but I only type with 2 fingers and don’t have the greatest of accuracy so it really just goes down hill when alcohol is involved. Until next time, friends!